Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Holocaust Practice















This picture of railway tracks that lead to Auschwitz concentration camp is one of many pictures that's focal point is to lead the viewer's eye into the entrance where pain, suffering, brutality and death have all occurred. The use of parallel and perfectly straight and symmetrical lines tells a story about the way the Nazis and the way they operate with the perfectionist details and no-nonsense attitude and how they created the concentration camps. The use of having the symmetrical railway tracks which were used to bring thousands of people to their deaths by the German train system shows how much Germans who caught trains in this time were on the same railway tracks that people were being led to their deaths on. This shows the lack of information that was given to the German public and to the Jews between 1940 and 1945.



This picture, taken of Hitler walking down through a Nazi parade, looking at his soldiers lined up in a perfectly symmetrical and ordered fashion shows how the Nazis operated and went about the lives. The focal point of this image is of Hitler himself, walking down the long and seemingly never ending aisle of his soldiers who are perfect with their dress, the guns and all parallel to each other and there is not one foot out of line.




Tale of a Sprinter, in the Winter of 1938

by Sudeep Pagedar


THE PAST -

I am an athlete from Berlin,
my feet are fast and swift.
I can run faster than anyone!
Truly, this is the Lord's gift!

Any race I participate in,
I always come in first,
for I tell myself, "I HAVE to win";
it is like a great thirst.

Even if someone, somehow passes me,
I put on an extra burst of speed
and run past him, leaving him behind;
thus, I take the lead.

I once thought, "If I keep running this way,
I might be in the Olympics, some day..."

THE PRESENT -

But now the year is nineteen-thirty-eight
And for my dreams, it's just too late.

My running days are all gone,
I'm not going to see tomorrow's dawn.


Yes, it is true
that I can run very fast;
But it is also true
that I am a Jew...
There's no running, from the Holocaust.


This poem reflects upon a story about a Jewish man who was a great runner and had dreams of going to the Olympics but was stripped of his talent because he is a Jew. 

No comments:

Post a Comment