Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Writing Letters

Bruno to his Grandmother right before going on his final adventure (imagine she was still alive):


Dear Grandma


I am finally started to enjoy living here at Out-with. The house is not as nice as the one in Berlin and I miss you very much. I have met a kind Jew called Shmuel (who is very kind and nice although Herr Liszt has said there are no nice Jews). I have had many wonderful adventures with him and we have become best friends (just don' tell Mother, Gretel, Father or anyone though). Father says that we are going to move back to Berlin soon because Mother doesn't think Out-with is a good place for children but I think that it is fine. We have food, water, a house to sleep in, I have made a new best friend and all of our family is together which Father says is this most important thing to have (besides you and Grandfather). I love you very much Grandma and I hope to see you in the very near future.


Love from Bruno






Pavel to his family regarding living in the camp and working for Bruno's family:


Dear my beloved family


I am very happy that you are safe and that you are not suffering the horror that I am here at this concentration camp. The camp conditions are filthy as we are given one pair of old pyjamas like clothes, we are cramped into these huts with wooden beds, we have to help build a new hut everyday from sunrise to sunset and we are given very little food and water. I have been given the duty to waiter and peeling food such as potatoes and carrots for a Nazis family whose father I suppose runs the whole production of the camps. One day, while I was peeling the carrots for their dinner, the young Nazis boy, Bruno I think it is, fell of his swing and I bandaged him up. I started to cry thinking about my old job and my beautiful family. I hope that you are very safe and well and hopefully in the distant future I will come home from this horrible place.


Lots of love, you dearly loving father, Pavel 

No comments:

Post a Comment